Boorstin and Abrams Awarded Bowdoin English Essay Prizes

Abrams, in Second Place, Active In Track and Wrestling--Phi Beta Kappa Member

Daniel Joseph Boorstin '34 of Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Meyer Howard Abrams '34 of Long Branch, New Jersey, have been respectively awarded the first and second prizes in the Bowdoin Prize Essay contest for excellence in English essay writing. The awards carry stipends of $500 and $300 each. Boorstin's subject was "The Unspoken Laminations on History with Illustrations from Gibbon," while Abrams wrote on "The Effect of Opium and Other Drugs on English Literature."

Boorstin came to Harvard from Tulsa Central High School and distinguished himself during his Freshman year by winning the Coolidge prize as the best debater in the Freshman trials for the triangular debates and receiving a Detour. In the next year he won the Barrette Wendell Prize in History and Literature, and received an honorary John Harvard Scholarship. Last year he was elected in the Junior Eight of Phi Beta Kappa, and he became first marshall of the Society. Last fall he was one of the three Harvard men awarded Rhodes scholarships. He has been a member of the University debating council during his college career.

Abrams Gets Wilder Prize

Abrams graduated from Long Branch High School, and in his Freshman year received the Wilder Prize for excellence in elementary German, and a Price Greenleaf Aid scholarship. Last March he was awarded the Charles and Julia Henry Fellowship, and will study next year at Cambridge University. He was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in the Junior Eight, and was a member of the track and wrestling squads.

There is a third prize of $100, the winner of which has not been announced. The prizes are taken from the interest of a fund created by Governor James Bowdoin in 1745 and increased in 1901 by George Sullivan Bowdoin.