CLAIM RIOTERS BEATEN BY POLICE IN STATION

PROTEST COMMITTEE TO OBTAIN SIGNED AFFIDAVITS

Startling evidence of police beating within the police station following the arrests of persons in the Charlestown demonstration on Thursday was brought to the attention of the Committee formed to protest the action of the police in the matter.

Several of the arrested people declared that after they had been arrested and booked in the police station that they were taken into a back room where they were beaten severely. They stated that they had made no resistance to the arrest and had made no show of fight while they were in the station.

Following an audience with Superintendent of Police Martin H. King, members of the Committee issued a call for affidavits and statements to support the charges that police were rough in their handling of the spectators. King reques- ted the Committee to make a report in writing and have the statements sworn before a Notary Public.

Superintendent King promised that the report would be investigated and that if the charges seemed to warrant if a hearing would be held on the matter.

Acting on the advice of the Superintendent, the Committee get busy gathering statements and before the evening was over had collected witnessed statements from nearly ten students. The statement from the Committee last night declared that it was only against the brutality of the police that the protest was registered and that if demanded the dismissal of officers responsible for this brutality.

The Committee expects to add to their list of signed statements today and also to obtain photographs taken by spectators at the scene. If hopes to contact students from Technology who were among those picked up on the charge of "inciting to riot."

A formal protest of the whole affair will be lodged with Governor Joseph R. Ely and with the protest will be included the signed statements of the happenings in Charlestown, in the hope of securing action along this line. The protest to Governor Ely will also include the demand that policemen responsible for the brutality dismissed immediate.

Some of the stories to the Committee revealed starting roughness on the part of the police. Eyewitness told of persons crowded to the will to horses, of small children knocked down