The China Cake

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be with-held.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

It is very strange that the United States should stand unblushingly opposed to the Japanese "Monroe Doctrine" in China particularly we who got worked up into a terrific hear when European vultures came over some years ago and inspired a Monroe Doctrine under similar circumstances. Well, probably was had a right, a protective right, in our American sphere; and besides, we were making the world safe for democracy, at least, the American world at that time by undesigning the South American Revolution and thus making it a successful revolution. But I am led to wonder if it is not a bit brazen and self-contradictory to get into another sphere, and in self-appointed leadership and proxy to dictate to Japan an unqualified insistence on the "open door" to China. (I often wonder, too, what China has to say about it, after all.)

Are we again on a crusade, this time to make the world safe for China and Chinese Democrats, or are we making he world safe for American capitalists, and the entire League of Nations in the bargain? And all this single-handed, too. It might be well to consider, at least once again, that we are taking upon ourselves a very serious burden in such a declaration of policy as we have made. It is very significant that England ha refused to cooperate in a joint statement of policy. Probably a desire to avoid the appearance of a "white bloc," which notion the Japanese patriots would seize upon with characteristic shrewdness moved, England to act as she did. Or, yet more probable, and with characteristic British brilliancy, British foreign policy elected to watch and wait, gently and innocently, on the sidelines. Let the characteristic American frankness get caught with its hand in the jam and invite upon itself the food of criticism and abuse which the Japanese military delight in. Let America get into difficulties and let the European good children get the cake. In short my plea is: America watch out.

It is no doubt extremely difficult to avoid a situation of the China kind in the fact of imperialistic capitalism. However, American diplomats must come to a more conscious realization of the graveness of the situation. I do not favor a retreat, which could only be stupid with Europe in the game, but I do favor a more cautious pressing of our suit. If all of us could only keep a sense of friendly rivalry we would be a long way toward maintenance of peace. But, give Japan some thought, for she is, after all, in her own sphere. Alfred M. Nittle '35.