Workers of the World

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

The fact that there are always some people who must have something to gripe about was amply proven in yesterday's CRIMSON by the letter from the Mouthpiece of the Workers of America, The Champion of the Downtrodden Masses, or the Maryrs to the Cause of Pacifism, better known as the National Student League.

Just what connection the burning of 20,000 of the world's greatest books "one year ago this Thursday" has to do with Hanfstaengl's class reunion I have not been able to deduce. To be brutally frank, however, the German language did not boast 20,000 great books "one year ago this Thursday."

The National Student League's members had successfully made fools of themselves individually up until yesterday. Yesterday the N. S. L. successfully made a fool of its collective self by sanctioning the publication of such a stupid bit of writing.

The idea that Hitler is the hired tool of capitalism, that capitalism is sending Hanfstaongl to his class reunion in order to undermine racial toleration in Americas, is as foolish as shouting one's broken English at intelligent people in an attempt to incite them to make fools of themselves over pacifism. The idea of aligning the CRIMSON with German capitalism is even more stupid.

I, personally, would never for a moment question the fact that the unquestioned authority in America on the German situation is found right in our own peppy little N. S. L., but just so the more skeptical readers of the CRIMSON may likewise have no doubts I suggest that the present membership of the N. S. L. apply on masse for a four year leave of absence to study the downtrodden German masses. Then when they get back they would have a brand new student body to convince, a student body which entertains no memories of diverting little assemblages in front of Widener.

I should also like to suggest, seriously, that an organization denouncing propaganda in the same article is spitting into the wind when it attempts to construe a justifiable, provoked racial opposition into a rising of labor against capitalism. Colmery Glbson '37.