PROFESSOR MUNN NEW HEAD OF ENGLISH DEPT.

VAN WIESE WILL BE LECTURER IN SOCIOLOGY NEXT YEAR

The new head of the English department, an exchange professor to France, a lecture in Sociology and a new secretary to President Conant were announced yesterday.

Professor James Buell Munn will become chairman of the English department next September, succeeding Professor John Tucker Murray, who will take sabbatical leave in the second half of 1934-35.

Harpor Woodward '31, of Rochester, N. Y., third year student in the Harvard Law School and president of the John Marshall Law Club, will succeed Vernon Munroe, Jr. '30, as secretary to President Conant next September.

Dr. Hans Zinsser, Professor of Bacteriology and Immunology at Harvard Medical School, will go to the University of Paris for the second half of 1934-35 as Exchange Professor from Harvard. Dr. Jules Blache, Professor of Physical Geography at the University of Grenoble, will come to Harvard as Exchange Professor from France for one-half year, as yet undetermined, in 1934-35.

Dr. Leopold Van Wiese, director of the Research Institute in Social Science at Cologne, Germany; former secretary and a founder of the German Sociological Society, president of the International institute of Sociology, has been appointed Lecturer on Sociology for the second half of 1934-35.