SERVICES FOR WINTER YESTERDAY IN CHAPEL

BECAME INSTRUCTOR IN 1899, PROFESSOR IN 1903

Funeral services for Irvah Lester Winter '86, professor emeritus of Public Speaking, were held yesterday afternoon in the Appleton Chapel of the Memorial Church. Henry B. Washburn, dean of the Episcopal Theological School, conducted the services. At one time Dr. Winter was associated with the Theological School.

Dr. Winter was best known, however, for the courses in Public Speaking which he gave at Harvard for many years, beginning with his appointment as an instructor in 1899. Four years later he became an assistant professor and was placed in charge of all the courses in Public Speaking, Dramatic Delivery, et. English 10a is the most famous of these.

Before returning to Harvard, from which he had graduated in 1886, Dr. Winter had taught for 12 years at Michigan Military Academy and had served a short term as headmaster of Kenyon Military Academy, Gambier, Ohio. In addition to his work here at College, he gave numerous courses at the different graduate schools and at Radcliffe, Columbia, and the University of California. The graduate schools at which he lectured include the Theological School, the Law School, Andover Theological Seminary, and the Episcopal Theological School. He also taught at the Summer School. He was the author of several books on Public Speaking.