CONANT RECEIVES HONORARY DEGREE AT STEVENS TECH

Declares Doctors, Engineers, Sure to Survive Any Disaster--Latter to Be Influential

Four days after receiving a similar honor from Columbia University, President Conant was awarded an honorary degree of Doctor of Science on Saturday, when he was present at the commencement exercises of Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken.

Other honorary degrees were received from President Davis by William Hovgaard, professor of Naval Design and Construction at M. I. T.; William Barstow, president of the Edison Pioneers; William Duane Ennis, professor of Economics of Engineering at Stevens, and Harry R. Westcott, consulting engineer.

Addressing the graduates, President Conant gave the assurance that the engineering and medical professions are certain to survive the worst of political and economic erruptions. The engineers will undoubtedly have important positions of influence.

Speaking as one who had "now and then spent time on the technical problems which arise when science and industry meet," President Conant said, "It seems that whatever sort of social and economic order lies ahead of us, society will demand the luxuries and conveniences afforded by modern technology." In regard to the engineer's functions of the future, he was of the opinion that their ideals and standards may have a determining effect upon society at some not very distant date, and that much may depend upon the way they look at life.

"If we want certain things preserved in this world," he exhorted, "it is to you gentlemen and your successors that we may have to look for their preservation."