Cab Calloway Believes Orchestra's Reputation Necessary Before New Numbers Can Be Popular

Cab and Cotton Clubbers Joint Composers of More Torrid Selection

As the blatant strains of "Minnie the Moocher" faded into memories, there was a bustle backstage and the maestro of the Hi De Ho strode into his dressing room. His valet, a self-styled "secretary," was taken aback to find before him the CRIMSON reporter whom he had hoped to shunt aside for the last three days, with ominous threats and dark leers.

"Yep," declared the dapper Cab, "five shows a day is a pretty big order. You've got to keep yourself in the pink to do it. No alcoholic lubrication for the voice, you know."

Stooping to massage a leg muscle strained during his recent acrobatics, he said that he had started in the entertainment world in order to pay his way through law school, but finding that the two didn't mix, he stayed with his band. "Minnie the Moocher," "Zazu Zazz," and his latest "Hot-Cha-Zazz-Matazz-Zazz" are not solely his own creations, he modestly explained, but he and the boys work them out together. "Perhaps these pieces played by a less well-known orchestra would be a failure, for a reputation is necessary to present something out of the ordinary," was his belief.

About a year ago he deviated a bit from his usual "hot" numbers and varied his program with such "smooth" selections as his popular "Moon Glow." This was done to add rather more respectability and finesse to his program, as well as cater to audiences other than those composed of adolescents.

Twenty-five artists are included in his road company, in which the band occupies the honored position. All of the instruments are of the best, the drum outfit alone costing $3,000. With a somewhat mystifying sign, he admitted that he is married, adding that "as yet" there are no smaller Calloways.

By this time he had changed to a less formidable style of costume, and announced that he was off for a game of baseball with the boys before supper. Accompanied by the still snarling secretary, Cah Writhed out of the room, vaguely muttering something about kicking the gong around