RUSSELL'S DRIVE WILL OPEN NEW GOLF COURSE

Nine-Hole Municipal Links at Fresh Pond Is Dedicated--Construction Was Begun in 1931

Mounting the first tee with quaking kness this afternoon, Mayor Richard M. Russell '14 will attempt to propel the white pellet far down the fairway, as the City of Cambridge formally opens its first venture into the ancient and honorable game of gowf.

The new Municipal Golf Course at Fresh Pond, with its 3037-yard, nine-hole layout, was begun in 1931, after the idea had been persistently urged by Carroll Doten, Cambridge Park Commissioner and Brain Trust member.

Charles Roche, formerly of the Tedese Country Club, has been named are, and will pair with Bill Duffy of Trapelo, against Jesse (Siege-Gun) Guilford, who has just returned from the British Amateur, and Fred J. Wright, three times Massachusetts Amateur champion.

Weekday rates are $.50 for the first nine holes, and $.25 for each succeeding nine for Cambridge residents, while non-residents get mulcted of $.75 for the first round. On Saturday afternoons and Sundays all prices are raised $.25.