STUDENT COUNCIL STARTS DRIVE TO COLLECT PLEDGES

Any Funds Collected Will Be Used Next Year to Help Needy Students--Great Want Revealed

In an effort to collect approximately $3000 in outstanding pledges, the Student Council is making an extensive drive this week, it was announced last night by E. Francis Bowditch '35, newly elected president of the Council.

Any money collected from the present drive will be used for scholarships next year. This follows a scheme started during the past winter of awarding scholarships of varying amounts to needy students. Already nine awards of from $50 to $150 have been made to students who were found to be in financial straits.

At present there are about 1000 members of the College who have not paid pledges made last fall. The Council wishes to collect as much of this as possible and also anything more which any other member of the College would be willing to contribute. Letters are being mailed today to those who made pledges last fall and have not as yet paid.

Statement By Bowditch

In a statement made last night Bowditch said, "A majority of the students to whom awards have been made already this year will be returning in the fall, and they will need further financial assistance.

"We are able to give scholarships to students who would not be given any awards by the University either because they are not on the Dean's list or because the College doesn't have sufficient funds to give money to all those who apply. We can personally interview friends and roommates of needy men and determine the true need. Investigations carried on this year revealed a large number of really pressing case were brought to light, many among socially, scholastically, and athletically prominent students.

"Contributions from all who feel themselves in a position to make them will be very gratefully received."