A RED HOT IRON

The news that Dr. Hanfstaengl has offered Harvard a $1000 scholarship for study in Germany presents the College with a ticklish situation. If the Nazi official's desire is genuine, its refusal will seem a personal insult but acceptance under any circumstances will raise a storm of protest. Of course, it would seem that a real love for his alma mater would have caused him to refrain from raising this furore; certainly he should not have released the announcement to the newspapers before action had been taken. Nevertheless the question must be decided.

The scholarship itself offers an interesting and valuable chance for a man to go to Germany and learn about Hitlerism from its sources. Almost anybody would jump at such an opportunity. The main problem, which has raised its ugly and leering head concerns the qualifications of the donor. It is fairly obvious that a college should not accept gifts from an Al Capone if only on moral grounds: so the aims of Germany must be scrutinized since Dr. Hanfstaengl represents what Germany stands for.

Germany is fighting for a system which will put her back on her feet with the consent of a majority of her people. She may be basing her struggle on wrong premises as William Jennings Bryan once did. Like his silver conceptions, Germany's military views may wreak harm on others, but ahead of her lies the one purpose of regaining her pedestal in the world. As long as she keeps her experiments within her borders, it is no concern of this or any other country. But the moment her policies endanger the life and happiness of others, it becomes a matter of international concern. Germany does constitute such a threat to many people.

Thus there are two factors which the Corporation must take into account in its decision: first of all, the scholarship itself, and secondly, the qualifications of the donor. No one will dispute the excellence of the scholarship, but if the policies of Dr. Hanfstaengl are deemed unjust the Corporation obviously cannot offer education from such a source. The CRIMSON feels that since the second factor is so open to debate, the first should be stressed the most. Germany and the United States are on a friendly basis and Harvard should not stir up feeling by acting in a contrary manner. Therefore, it would be better to accept the offer as genuine and give the student the benefit of a year in Germany.