NEW TACTICS WIN

The release of the first actual figures in the Digest poll indicates that Harvard undergraduates have undergone a considerable change of feeling since the presidential poll of two years ago. It is an indication that Roosevelt, or at least his policies, has won over the majority of Hoover supporters here at Harvard as he has throughout the nation.

How much of this changed feeling is due to the personality of has President and how much to the policies themselves, it is different to say, but certainly both have been important facters in winning over former Hooverites. Since his election Roosevelt has worked strenuously to seek approbation and support for policies which were new for the country. Radio speeches, addresses on special occasions, messages to Congress, and newspaper interviews have sought to win over the entire nation to a liberal policy Roosevelt sincerely seemed to believe in. Digest figures indicate that for the most part, he has succeeded. Always addressing himself to the people, explaining his plans in clear, unmistakable terms, Roosevelt has demonstrated the efficacy of tactics shunned by former executives.

The New Deal continues and midst the plaudits of the crowd rise but few dissenting murmurs. Will the new policies be incorporated permanently in the scheme of government or will the conservatives make themselves heard above the propaganda of complacent optimism and liberalism? Whatever course the country decides to take, it must make sure it is heartily in accord with policies, and not merely following a genial hero of the hour. The Digest poll fails to indicate which it is that is being supported.