BUSINESS SCHOOL DROPS IN NUMBER OF MEN ENROLLED

Problems of Current Interest Will Be Included -- Professor Cabot Will Discuss Government and Business

With a reduction of 36 from the enrollment of last year the Harvard School of Business Administration will usher in its new students today when all students will register for the coming term.

This year's total of 389 first-year men entering compares unfavorably with last year's 425 but officials believe that the drop shows a promising trend in industry since many college graduates looked to the Business School and other additional training when jobs failed to materialize.

With the start of the new academic year, the Business School announces many important changes in the curriculum chiefly along the lines of adapting the courses to the current conditions. In addition to the changes in the regular curriculum of the School, the announcement of the Leatherbee lectures which will be given by Professor Oliver M. W. Sprague '94 on Monetary Policies and Problems has created an unusually great amount of interest. A more complete description of this course will be found in an adjoining column.

Among the new courses announced by the School which will deal particularly with current economic and political changes and their implications is one to be conducted by Philip Cabot '94, Professor of Public Utility Management in "Industry and Government." This course will deal with the impact of government on business and of business on government and is especially timely in view of the legislation of the past two years.

Other courses of current interest will be given by Professor Sumner H. Slichter in "Industrial Relations," and a seminar in the "Human Relations of Administration" given jointly by Elton Mayo, Professor of Industrial Research and Lloyd Warner, Professor of Social Anthropology.

Professor Cabot's course will give students a vivid and realistic picture of some of the governmental problems which business men must face and solve if they are to retain control of their business. In addition, Professor Cabot writes of his course: "Great changes will certainly come and may come swiftly. We have always been a disorderly people but the chaos which now prevails is a new phenomenon for the nation, and we must ask and answer, 'What caused it?' When considered at first glance, it might appear that the causes are the World War and the world-wide depression which followed it. But these causes are not adequate to explain the political and economic phenomena which confront us, we must look deeper. The root-causes are, I think, changes in the race composing the nation and in the environment in which we live. The best form of government for any people at any time is the child of race and environment."

Professor Slichter's course will consider the revolutionary changes taking place in industrial relations and the development of the art of collective bargaining, which is a paramount labor problem of the present. Emphasis will be laid on the interpretation of past and current experience in different types of collective bargaining. Since the most highly developed forms of collective bargaining appear with trade unions, special study will be made of the experience in bargaining with trade unions, both those affiliated with the American Federation of Labor and independent organizations; but company unions and employee representation plans also will be studied.

With all the changes now taking place the difficulties faced by all types of administrators multiply constantly. The course given by Professor Mayo and Professor Warner will examine these difficulties in the light of various researches which contribute to our knowledge of human problems involved in industrial and business organization