GALLAGHER CALLS OUT FRESHMAN GRIDSTERS

FIRST PRACTICE AT 2.30 O'CLOCK TODAY

Initiating a New Deal for Freshman football teams, Coach Cliff Gallagher will call out his first-year men this afternoon at 2.30 o'clock instead of waiting until the first week of school as in previous years.

Calculated to give the yearlings a jump that has been missing in the past, when first meetings of classes seriously interfered with the start of the Freshman football practice, this new move will allow the coaches several extra days of work with their charges.

Freshmen, then, are invited, encouraged, and urged to report for equipment today--anytime today, from 8 o'clock in the morning until 6 o'clock at night--and be on hand for the first work with the coaches at 2.30 o'clock this afternoon. Those who neglect to report today, may do so tomorrow or Saturday at 2.30 o'clock.

In the past, Freshmen teams have been slow to get under way. They reported on Saturday or Monday and the practice sessions were interrupted first by the first meeting of English A, then by the first meeting of German A, then by Hygiene and before you could say Jack Robinson, the first game was only a week away.

Coach Gallagher enters on his second year of coaching this season and faces the task of every Freshman coach of trying to whip into shape a conglomerate group of youngsters most of whom he has never seen in action. When he took over the reins of the yearling squad last year, he introduced the intricate Notre Dame system in full force with its trick plays, intricate spinners, delayed spinners and what not, with the result that the first few games went to the opponents. But when the steam roller started to move, the slaughter was ghastly. Darmouth was the first victim and Yale the most glorious. With the extra few days that his players will have this year with the early start, Coach Gallagher hopes to have his team hit its stride long before the Dartmouth clash.