SPRAGUE TO GIVE NEW FREE MONETARY COURSE

Qualified Business and Professional Men May Enter -- Applications To Be Mailed

A new course in Monetary Policies and Problems, given by Professor Oliver M. W. Sprague and open to qualified business and professional men was announced recently by the Harvard Business School of Business Administration.

This opportunity is available every year for one course in the School through the generosity of the late George H. Leatherbee who left a bequest for that purpose in 1913. This year the series of lectures by the ex-"brain-truster" has been received with such enthusiasm that it will be nearly six times as large as usual.

Will Discuss Credit

Professor Sprague will discuss in his course the conditions and policies which influence the demand for credit, its supply, and its cost. The following subjects, among others are to be considered: interest rates, the functioning of the gold standard, the foreign exchanges, central bank discount policies and open market operations, the possibilities of a managed currency, and finally economic stability and price stability in so far as that may be attained through banking action.

Instruction will be by means of lectures, assigned readings and discussions of selected cases. Arrangements have been made with the Baker Library, the Boston Public Library, and the Kirstein Business Branch on City Avenue for use of reading references.

The course is open only to such men as satisfy the School that their business experience and training will permit them to profit from the work. It is open to second-year men with credit but no credit will be given to outside men.

The first meeting of the course will be Wednesday, September 26, at 12 o'clock, Room 121. Thereafter, with the exception of the regular School holidays, meetings will be on Mondays and Wednesdays, from 12 to 1 o'clock, Room 121. Baker Library, from September until February. An application blank will be sent upon request to anyone who is interested if the request is mailed by today to the Dean of the Harvard Business School, Soldiers Field, Boston, Mass