VARSITY HOLDS SHORT PRACTICE SCRIMMAGE

BLOCKING STRESSED IN WORKOUT YESTERDAY AFTERNOON

An unexpected scrimmage between two teams picked at random from members of the Varsity football squad featured the afternoon practice session on Soldiers Field yesterday and gave the coaches their first look at the prospects in actual contact work.

Although the first real test of the year is scheduled for this afternoon when the Jayvees will be brought into the Varsity field for an inter-squad drill, the coaches decided to steal a march on their subjects and ordered a brief scrimmage session. Each of the teams took charge of the ball for six plays but the period of play was so brief that no one had an opportunity to break away for long gains.

Frank Schumann, who reported for practice on Monday was the only one of the veteran Varsity players who participated in the scrimmage and it was indicated that the coaches were merely attempting to take the edge off gridders seeing their first year of Varsity work.

With the reduction of the squad earlier this week, from 90 to 44 players the coaches got down to business and sent the men through a stiff workout in spite of the drizzle which threatened to keep the team indoors. The morning session was held in the cage with special emphasis placed on blocking. In fact, the bulk of the day was given over to this essential and Coaches Walsh, Fesler and Lane worked all afternoon on the blocking problem. The motto this year is, "Nobody on the squad who can't block" and the players are certainly getting a dose of medicine in that direction.

Today's scrimmage looms as one of the most important events in early practice since the coaches will get their first real look at the team in action. Faults which have not shown up as yet will get aired and the grid mentors can begin putting together a tentative team in preparation for more intense work for the first game.

Coach Adam Walsh, new dictator of the policies of the line, kept the linemen busy in a live blocking drill yesterday afternoon, and the Jayvee ends and tackles, and later the guards were brought in to relieve the monotony. Shaun Kelly and Emile Dubiel were particular bright spots on the Varsity during this drill.

With a week of hard work behind them the Varsity players are out to show the scrubs just how this game football ought to be played and the coaches are ready on their toes to pit the first-stringers against the lowlier rivals in the clash this afternoon. In preparation for the scrimmage this afternoon, the Varsity will be given a rest during the morning.

The two teams that worked out yesterday afternoon lined up as follows: Team A--Geer, l.e., Simmons, l.t., Schumann, l.g., Comfort, c., Husband, r.g., Adlis, r.t., Knapp, r.e., Hedblom, Parquette, q.b., Fitz, r.h.b., Watt, r.h.b., Jackson, Hedblom, f.b.

Team B--Beaudrean, l.e., Watson, l.f., Brookings, l.g., Joues, c., Casale, r.g., Millard, r.t., Dubiel, r.e., Ford, q.b., Blackwood, l.h.b., Fuller, r.h.b., Ecker, f.b