CITY PLANNING SCHOOL GIVES LECTURE SERIES

Visiting Authorities Will Cover Trends In Planning--To Be Open To Public During Current Semester

A lecture on "Social Betterment; the Aim of City Planning," by John Ihlder, secretary of the Washington, D. C. Committee on Housing, at the School of City Planning, Robinson Hall Annex. Harvard University, today will be the first of a series of public lectures on city regional planning given at the school during the current semester.

The lectures are from 11 to 12 a.m., and are a regular part of the course in "Principles of City and Regional Planning," under the direction of Assistant Professor Howard K. Menhinick.

Among the subjects to be covered in the series are low-cost housing, building heights, railroads in the regional plan, the Tennessee Valley project, state and national planning, and present trends in planning.

The lectures subsequent to the one today are:

October 29: L. Segoe. "Railroads in the Regional Plan." Mr. Segoe is a consulting engineer and city planner of Cincinnati, Ohio. He was concerned in the city planning aspects of the development of the new Cincinnati railroad terminal, and many other railroad and community planning developments.

November 26: Edward M. Bassett. "Limiting the Height of Buildings Through Zoning." Mr. Bassett is a member of the New York Bar. Was a member of the commission which framed the original New York zoning ordinance. Has been a legal adviser on zoning questions of communities all over the United States.

December 3: Henry Wright. "Site Planning for Low-cost Housing." Mr. Wright is an architect and town planner. Was concerned with the development of Radburn, N. J., the new town built by the New York City Housing Corporation as a model town for the automobile age, and with the development of the Buhl Foundation housing project in Pittsburgh, Pa.

December 10: Richmond D. Moot. "Schenectady's Official Map." Mr. Moot "State and National Planning." Mr. Eliot is Executive Officer of the National Resources Board, under whose auspices state and national planning are being sponsored.

January 11: Earle S. Draper. "Regional Planning in the Tennessee Valley." Mr. Draper is Director of Housing and Town Planning for the TVA.

January 14: Charles W. Eliot 2d. is an attorney who has been Chairman of the Schenectady City Planning Commission. Schenectady was the first city in New York state to make substantial progress under the "official map" planning powers. Mr. Moot will recount Schenectady's experiences.

January 16: Harold S. Buttenheim. "Trends in Present Day City and Regional Planning in the United States." Mr. Buttenheim is Editor of the "American City".