WESTERN SCHOLARSHIP PLAN ALREADY AT YALE

Awards Not Limited to One Area as in Harvard -- Carry Stipend of $2650 For Four Years

Although the recent establishment of the ten scholarships for especially promising middle-western students is exciting much comment. Yale has for several years maintained a somewhat similar scheme.

At New Haven the awards are not restricted to one geographical area, as is the case with President Conant's new plan, but are selected from various sections of the country. The scholarships were originally founded for three students in the southern, south-western, and far-western portions of the country, but the fine showing of the recipients in years past has led the university to increase the number from three to six.

The students to whom the awards are given are chosen in somewhat the same way that the Rhodes Scholars are picked. The scholarships carry a stipend of $2,650, which is distributed over the four years of undergraduate study, $850 the first year, and $600 for each succeeding year. Selection for the award is based on literary and scholastic ability, character and moral leadership, and physical soundness and vigor. According to the University release, the most important factor in the selection is the "Individual's promise of future service to scholarship and to public service."

The present six awards are distributed as follows: one to each of the fol- lowing: the Middle Western, the North Central, the South Central, the Rocky Mountain, and the Far Western districts, and two to the South Atlantic states