YARDLINGS HOLD FALL BASEBALL PRACTICE

Dean Chancery, Freshman Mentor, Secs Indications of Well Balanced Team in Daily Workouts

Under the gaze of Henry Chauncey '28, Assistance Dean and Freshman baseball mentor, 30 ball candidates of 1939 have been working out since the first week of college.

Several practice games are played each week, affording Dean Chauncey an opportunity to see his fledglings in action. From all early indications, the team should shape up well in the spring, according to the coach, although there seems to be no outstanding star.

Among the promising twirlers who reported for practice are H. M. Curtis and two south-paws, J. T. Allen and H. N. Edinburgh. Backing up the plate in the practice games have been J. Coburn and F. S. White, while the initial bag has been held down by R. W. Galbraith, Jr., and P. F. Cunningham. Cunningham captained the Brooks School nine last year.

At second is R. J. Loughlin, a cousin of the 1934 Crimson baseball captain. C. W. Howell and H. S. Thompson, Jr. have been stopping some mean grounders at short stop, as has F. W. Heckel at third. Daisy-picking two have been J. H. Cunningham, A. Winsor, Jr., and F. R. Connolly.

Football candidates who are expected to report in the spring include two prop school captains, F. F. De Rham of St. Marks and R. T. Gannett of Milton Academy, and N. J. Lupion, the brother of a Crimson captain.

Freshman baseball practice will continue out-doors as long as the weather permits, and will be resumed in the cage after the mid-year examinations.