STAR OBSERVERS WILL HOLD MEETING TODAY

Observatory Host to Astronomers From Every Part of the Country; Number of Famous Men.

Fifty amateur astronomers from all parts of the United States will be entertained by the College Observatory today and tomorrow at the 24th annual meeting of the American Association of Variable Star Observers.

This organization, since its founding in 1911, has made and field over half a million observations of variable stars Leon Campbell, instructor in Astronomy, has been recorder for the Association, and last year received over 50,000 reports from all parts of the world.

Business Meeting

The meeting will open today with a business session at 4 o'clock at the Observatory. This evening at 8.30 o'clock there will be a joint meeting of the Association and the Bond Astronomical Club in the New Lecture Hall. Charles W. Elmer, vice-president, will give an illustrated talk on "The Paris Meeting of the International Astronomical Union". Annie J. Cannon, of the Observatory Director, and Campbell will also address the meeting.

Lunch at Observatory

Saturday morning the regular annual business meeting and election of the association will be held at 10 o'clock at the Observatory with Professor Ernest W. Brown of Yale, emeritus, president of the Association, presiding. This will be followed by luncheon at the Observatory equipment, including the newly installed spectrohelioscope.

Gerard P. Kuiper, lecturer in Astronomy, will give the main talk of the afternoon session at 3 o'clock in the observatory, speaking on binary stars.

The annual dinner will be held Saturday evening at the Hotel Continental. Robert B. King, of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, will be the principal speaker of the evening.

The American Association of Variable Star Observers, which now has 400 members in many parts of the world, was founded in 1911 by William T. Olcott, of Norwich, Connecticutt, and by the late Edward C. Pichering of the Observatory.