Mary Young Says Hub Needs Permanent Theatre to Present Plays Attuned to Tempo of Today

Popular Actress Invites Harvard Men to Attend Rehearsals in New Venture

"We are living at a high rate of speed today and a good modern play must match this speed," said Mary Young, famous American actress, now managing-director of the Copley Theatre, to a CRIMSON interviewer last night. She added that discriminating people still demand the legitimate theatre, but with terrific competition from other forms of entertainment, the play-lover in a city other than New York is generally offered either only an infrequent glimpse of celebrities at exorbitant prices, or inferior presentations by stock or repertory companies.

"What a city like Boston needs is a theatre which will, by reason of its own merit, become a permanent institution for playgoers, she said, explaining that only an actual production company, presenting Broadway successes new to Boston as well as original plays of merit at prices well within the reach of all interested in the legitimate theatre can fill this need. "This company must present legitimate dramas of the highest type; it must select plays and players with great care and keen constantly changing the members of the casts; and finally, it must please the public by giving them what they want; a so-called "stock company" will not fulfill this."

In conjunction with her son, John R. Craig '20, Miss Young is attempting just such a departure in modern entertainment at the Copley Theatre this year. "The success of our venture naturally depends upon the satisfaction of these for whom it is intended: we therefore, welcome any suggestions or criticisms. I personally wish to extend an invitation to any interested members of the University to visit the theatre during rehearsals."