CRIMSON DEBATERS BOW TO M.I.T. FORENSIC UNION

DUGGAN, DUNN, FULD REPRESENT DEBATING COUNCIL

Through the majority decision of three judges, a trio of M. I. T. orators was awarded a close victory over the Harvard Debating Council last night. Discussion centered on the advisability of granting Congress constitutional power to regulate all commerce and industry within the United States.

Upholding the negative side of the question, the Crimson team charged that the adoption of such an amendment would bring about an unwarranted revolutionary change in the economic and political order of the country. Warning that such a step would arm Congress with dangerous prerogatives, they declared that the inevitable result would involve extinction of personal rights and the triumph of authoritarian government.

As a rational solution to present economic problems, they urged the adoption of a less sweeping amendment specifying and definitely limiting the industrial and commercial powers granted to Congress.

Representing the Crimson in last night's contest were Edward J. Duggan '37, Robert Dunn '37, and James J. Fuld '37.

The chief argument of the opposing forces rested on the thesis that the Constitution, no longer able to cope with contemporary problems, should be amended to meet the demands of present day society.