MRS. RAND HONORED BY GOVERNMENT OF FRANCE

PRESENTATION TAKES PLACE ON THURSDAY NIGHT

Proceeding on instructions from the French Embassy in Washington, M. Bergeron, Boston Consul, will decorate Mrs. Edward K. Rand, chairman of the French Talking Films committee, with the Palmes Academiques at a cinema showing here Thursday evening.

Understood to be a tribute to Mrs. Rand's hard work in the cause of French films in America and her long devotion to French culture, the ceremony will take place at 8:50 o'clock in the Institute of Geographical Exploration.

"Crainquebille," picture of the evening, based on the play of that name by Anatole France, emphasises the futility of human justice. Crainquebille, who pushes a vegetable cart about Paris, is arrested on a false charge of shouting at a policeman, "Mort aux vaches!"

After conviction and completion of a jail sentence, he goes back to his vegetable cart. Finding himself despised by the world, he becomes disillusioned, gives up his cart, and takes to drink.

Desperately looking back to his prison days, he shouts "Mort aux vaches!" at another policeman. When the policeman pays no attention to him he decides to end his life by jumping into the Seine. Befriended at the last moment by some Paris gamins, he goes off to live with them.