HOUSE FOOD FOR FRESHMEN

When the House masters convene before the Christmas Vacation, they would do well to consider and act favorably upon a certain petition launched on November 19th. Over five hundred undergraduates have signed their approval of allowing Freshmen to eat "a certain number of meals in the houses every week with upperclass friends."

A partial scheme was tried last year in order that Freshmen might have a look at the Houses before they made their formal choices. The administrative difficulties were easily and effectively handled, since the difference in the meal rates--$8 and $8.50--amounted to only a slight bit over 2 cents per meal.

Now and very definitely the privileges should be extended to all Freshmen at all invited occasions, and the means should be the ordinary inter-house slips. Last year's extra red tape of signing in advance in the Union, appropriate and Christmassy though it be, can be snipped, thereby not only ingratiating a thousand Freshmen, but also saving officials a lot of needless slip filing, book balancing, and general confusion.