DEMAGOGUES AND DEMOGOGUERY

"Combat demagogues with demogoguery" is a political axiom which the intelligent portion of this country has long neglected. Amused by the obvious imbecility of Long, Coughlin, or Townsend, yet considerably frightened by the tremendous effect of these orators on what they consider "the people of no importance," the intelligentsia have not departed from time-honored tactics. Yet these tactics have failed. No longer can a man be laughed out of existence when he holds the secret to Kingdom Come for the common people.

The average man cares little how ridiculous he may appear in the eyes of the world, so long as he gets what he considers a fair deal from the powers that be. He isn't getting anywhere near what he considers his due; he hasn't since 1929. It is only natural that he should reach for such bromides as the share-the-Wealth plan or the Townsend plan. No amount of explaining that, for instance, the economic system cannot possibly raise such tremendous annual sums as Townsend offers the old duffers, will destroy for the average man the illusion that bread is being taken out of his mouth. He remains an ardent advocate of the plan in the expectation that he will have some day $200 a month himself.

It is time to realize that the insidious delusions in the mind of the unthinking average voter can be combatted only by instilling in his mind counter-delusions. Explain the situation to him in words of one syllable and in a light favorable to his economic aspirations. In short, appeal to his natural prejudices; by demagogic illogic crush the demogogues.