PROTESTS ENTERED BY N.S.L. AND LIBERAL MEN

KRAMER CLAIMS SUGGESTED BILL KILLS OWN PURPOSE

Harvard organizations swung into action on two fronts yesterday as the National Student League moved to uphold the Uneeda Biscuit workers' strike in New York and the Liberal Club sought to prevent the passage in the State Legislature of an anti-Communist bill.

The N.S.L.'s activity took the form of an attempt to persuade Aldrich Durant '02, business manager of the University, to cut off further purchases of crackers from the Uneeda Biscuit Company until the strikers' demands have been met. Charles L. Whipple '35, executive secretary of the League, led a delegation of four to Durant's office yesterday afternoon but was unable to obtain an interview. An appointment, however, has been secured for 2 o'clock today.

Liberal Club Opposition

Meanwhile the Liberal Club's Executive Committee has announced its opposition to a bill proposed in the State Legislature by Representative Buell of Canton. This bill would declare the Communist Party illegal and would make participation in Communist activity a felony.

Victor H. Kramer '35, president of the club, declared that "We oppose this bill because it denies those principles of free speech which our democratic form of government is dedicated to uphold, and because the experience of foreign countries has shown that such an act would do much to aid the Communist cause, which cause we oppose so heartily."