CLAPPER STOLEN FROM BELL IN MEMORIAL HALL

APTED SAYS HE KNOWS IDENTITY OF CULPRITS

Mystery stalks the rafters of Memorial Hall's lofty belfry since the huge bell was rendered impotent Tuesday by the theft of its clapper. At some time between 9 and 5 o'clock during the day pranksters found access to the seldom frequented and labyrinthine passage to the tower, bent on robbery.

Apparently the thieves picked the lock of the door leading from the balcony of the main room to the tower. From there a considerable climb up rickety ladders leads to the under side of the deck where the bell hangs. At that point a heavy cover over the hatchway leading to the deck is fastened down with two padlocks. These gave way to a hack-saw, providing access to the bell deck.

Again the hacksaw was used to saw through a large rivet holding the 16-pound hammer in place. Whether it was then carried out of the building or concealed within, remains a mystery.

Although it is believed that several spare hammers are in the possession of the University for just such an emergency, none of them have been found. The services of a blacksmith were enlisted yesterday afternoon to construct a new one.

Last night, Colonel Charles R. Apted '06, superintendent of caretakers, reported that he knew who the culprits are, but had taken no measures up to that time for their arrest. With characteristic forehandedness, however, he had a bill of over $20 ready to hand over to his prisoners when the arrest is made.