TOP SEVENTH PLAN WILL NOT CARRY FAVORITISM

OTHER HARVARD ENTRANCE RULES TO REMAIN IN FORCE

To clarify Monday's decision of applying the top seventh plan to admissions from 26 schools, Richard M. Gummere, Chairman of the Committee on Admission, announced yesterday that the innovation involves no change in the previous principles. Under the plan, students from the upper seventh of the graduating classes in these institutions scattered throughout the country will be admitted without examination.

No Discrimination

Mr. Gummere declared that the principle carries with it no discrimination against schools omitted from the list, nor any inference that the schools not on the list are of a lower academic standing than those included.

"The specified group of 26 schools has not been selected by Harvard for a special privilege; it is a group which has united to carry out certain progressive plans and has petitioned practically all the colleges and universities of the United States to be allowed to conduct this special program," he explained.

"The other Harvard entrance plans (Plan A, Plan B, and the previous upper seventh plan for certain schools in rural communities and small cities and towns which do not prepare regularly for the College Board examinations) still hold. and there is no intention on the part of Harvard to alter this program.