Yale A.A. Gives Qualified Approval to Harvard's Athletic Endowment Policy

Necessity for Maintaining Balanced Budget Causes Withdrawal From Penn Relays

Now Haven, April 11--Though Yale authorities gave no indication of starting immediately upon and endowment policy well-informed observers agreed that drastic steps would have to be taken to maintain a balanced Eli athletic budget. Despite repeated urgings of the Yale News, Malcolm Farmer, director of the Y.A.A., has steadfastly refused to release any figures of athletic receipts or expenses.

Yesterday Farmer declared Yale had "no plans for any immediate change in her athletic set-up" and gave only qualified approval to Harvard's move. He called the endowment plan "a fine thing, if it does not result in curtailment of such sports as are enjoyed by most of the undergraduate students who do not go out for intercollegiate competition."

Farmer has insisted that the Y.A.A. is controlled on a budget system under the Corporation and that there is no need for publicity inasmuch as no wholesale curtailment of sports has been made. At the same time Yale announced withdrawal from the annual Penn Relays. Farmer hastened to explain in a special statement that due to entering the new Hoptagonal Meet something had to be done to balance the budget.

Only the day before, the News declared that undergraduates can claim a right to know how the A.A. is being run. "We would demonstrate," declared the editorial, "that it is to the best interests of the A.A. to make public their figures. For they cannot be blind to the fact that at present the goodwill of the student body is not theirs."

Princeton, April 11--Wide awake to the necessity of finding new revenue to balance athletic budgets, Princeton has brought forth a plan to put crew on a semi-paying basis. Asa S. Bushnell, graduate manager, has announced that the Carnegie Lake course will be reversed and a grandstand erected at the finish. A large area of open meadow, which will be roped off, is expected to yield substantial income.