BOLMAN AND QUINN FACE HAWAIIANS OVER RADIO

JAPANESE WOULD SQUELCH U. S. INFLUENCE, THEY CLAIM

Clashing over the much-disputed question of whether or not Hawaii should be admitted to the Union as a state, the Debating Council opposed the University of Hawaii last Saturday night over a trans-Pacific hookup. The Harvard debaters Frederick DeW. Bolman, Jr. '35 and Thomas H. Quinn '36 argued for the negative side, while their Hawalian opponents John Casstevens and Robert North upheld the affirmative in the no decision debate.

The Hawaiian team, mentioning the cry of our Revolutionary fathers, "No taxation without representation," lamented the fact that Hawaii is treated like a state by the national government yet cannot vote for the President or be represented by voting members in Congress. Its economic importance and value as a military outpost were other factors brought forth as favorable to a closer union with the United States.

On the other side the Harvard debaters maintained that it was chiefly the sugar interests, desiring the removal of the high protective tariff which America has placed on Hawaiian sugar, that are back of the cry for statehood. Showing that the population was only one-ninth Caucasian and that the high birth-rate of the Japanese pointed towards further Japanese preponderance, the Debating Council brought the discussion to a close in claiming that the granting of statehood to Hawaii would exclude American influence and the island soon would be in the hands of the Japanese.