NEW ATHLETIC TROPHY AWARDED TO BELLBOYS

LOWELL EASY FIRST; WINTHROP, ADAMS ARE SECOND, THIRD

For its demonstration of interest and its proficiency in intra-mural sports, Lowell House will be awarded the new Percy S. Straus Trophy. Adolph W. Samborski '25, director of intramural athletics, will make the award to Andrew G. Webster '37, the athletic manager for the house at a House dinner to be given soon.

The trophy, which is to be given annually to the house which gets the highest rating in House athletic competitions during the year, was offered this spring to the Houses by Percy S. Straus '97. It is in the form of a large silver coffee urn, of fine design in Sheffield silver, and worthy of a prominent position in a House common room.

The Bellboys won a secure position at the top of the list, piling up 765 points to 681 2-3 for the Puritans. Adams followed a close third with 660 5-6 points.

The ratings are as follows: Lowell  765 Winthrop  681 2-3 Adams  660 5-6 Brooks  645 Eliot  599 1-6 Kirkland  441 2-3 Dunster  414 1-6 Leverett  382 1-8

Points are awarded both for placing teams into competition and for proficiency in play. Major sports offer each house 50 points for having a team, while minor sports offer 35. The championship team gets 100 points in a major sport, 80 in a minor, while the team at the bottom in a more important sport receives 10 points, and in a minor sport 15. Teams with ratings between the top and the bottom are given points according to position.

Beginning next year, deductions will be made for defaults, which are so demoralizing to the program.