HARVARD MOUNTAINEERS DISCOVER YUKON PEAKS

Washburn, Carter, and Bates Explore Uncharted Area in Southwest Corner of the Region

Back from four months of exploration in the little known regions of Yukon territory, Alaska, H. Adams Carter of Dunster House, Ex-President of the Mountaineering Club, reported yesterday that the National Geographic-Washburn Expedition had discovered four or five mountains hitherto unknown and uncharted. In memory of England's Silver Jubilee, two of the mountains were named King George and Queen Mary.

Each of these has an altitude of over 13,000 feet. They are in the Southwest corner of Yukon Territory. The Expedition, led by H. Bradford Washburn '33, comprised six men, three of whom are Harvard men; Robert H. Bates being the third.

Carter also told of the Expedition's nearly losing half their sled dogs when three of them fell sixty-five feet down a crevasse. None of the dogs was in the least injured, however.

The expedition also crossed from Yukon Territory over the mountains to the Alaskan coast. This is the first time an expedition has accomplished this feat.