NEWELL CLOSES TODAY UNTIL NEXT SEPTEMBER

Varsity Has Last Practice Before Going to Red Top--Freshman Eight Downs Jayvees

Until next fall the crystal waters of the Charles will be untroubled by Varsity oars, for the Newell Boat House closes today as soon as the shells can be crated for New London. In the last row yesterday the Varsity, stroked by Ed Simmons, appeared to be going well and Coach Whiteside says that the seatings will remain unchanged. The Blue crew has a record which backs their claim of being one of the best crews in the East, but Whiteside promises to start a hard-rowing crew.

The Junior Varsity and Freshman shells raced over a two-mile course with the Freshman boat winning by a length of open water. The times were 9.5 and 9.45 for the Yearlings and Jayvees respectively. The Freshman boat is rated as 'just about average" by Bert Haines and since the Eli yearlings have beaten their Varsity on one occasion and have lost by six feet on another this year's crew will not row with the confidence that marked the race of last spring.