BEHIND THE THRONE

Managerial competitions have received a severe buffeting at Harvard in recent years and are now, in the calm that has followed the storm, confronted with a disturbing neglect of their benefits. Probably, the only manager who receives anything like the universal respect that he deserves is the Football Manager.

The reason for the difficulty lies in Harvard rather than in the nature of the work. Indifference which surrounds each of the self-contained units of undergraduate life has removed managerial competitions far from the perspective of the Yard. Consequently, many Freshmen who would find the training immensely valuable are quite oblivious of its existence.

The competitions train candidates to be executives. Managers must be able to handle large sums of money, direct all the activities of their teams, and to guide their subordinates. Those who succeed find upon graduation that employers give them the respect that they have not had in College. Thus the Freshman football managerial competition which opens this afternoon should not be slighted on the grounds that it may not be worthwhile.