‘A Big Win’: Harvard Expands Kosher Options in Undergraduate Dining Halls

Top Republicans Ask Harvard to Detail Plans for Handling Campus Protests in New Semester

Harvard’s Graduate Union Installs Third New President in Less Than 1 Year

Harvard Settles With Applied Physics Professor Who Sued Over Tenure Denial

Longtime Harvard Social Studies Director Anya Bassett Remembered As ‘Greatest Mentor’

Collections and Critiques

First Folios, and Source Books of Shakespeare on View in Widener

Japanese screens, sculpture, paintings and primitive tiles may be seen in the Denman W. Ross '75 Memorial Exhibition now on view in the Fogg Museum. Although filling two rooms, this exhibit represents only a fraction of the oriental curios collected by Dr. Ross during his frequent expeditions to the East.

As proof that the ancient Chinese were by no means lacking in a sense of humor is a series of caricatures portraying the various types of poets. Notwithstanding the detail of slanted eyes, many of our contemporary types from long-haired Bohemians to gray-bearded George Bernard Shaws may be recognized with the help of an active imagination.

Another amusing picture is a water color portraying the religious rite of washing a white elephant. The animal is way out of proportion, and two attendants can be seen standing between its ears, scrub-brushes in hand.

A full length portrait of a Chinese nobleman, a product of the Ming-Ching period, which, translated, means late 17th or early 18th century, is considered to have been the collector's favorite. At the opposite extreme are four tiny landscapes, their lines barely visible on the ancient, faded silk. Of even greater age is a 12th century South Indian bronze statue, the most valuable object in the exhibit. Another bronze, which is mounted on a pedestal near the entrance, symbolizes the incarnation of Buddah. Every line of his face, from his furrowed brow to the tip of his pointed chin which is couched between thumb and fore-finger, helps to form an expression of deep meditation.

Dr. Ross was a lecturer in the theory of design at Harvard since 1899 until his death early in September. He wrote many books on Oriental art, and was one of the first to penetrate Cambodia, a region in Indo-China, for artistic research. It was he who introduced Persian pottery to the Boston public, as well as awaken an interest in the colored tile of this region. Although he was a profuse collector, Dr. Ross kept few objects for himself, giving the majority to either the Boston Museum or the Fogg.

In another exhibition which opens next week, the original works of Dr. Ross will be displayed. Included in this group will be his "study series," a collection of his own paintings, of quotations from many authorities, and of sketches made by himself to illustrate artistic trends.