HOUSES COOPERATE TO ABOLISH ERA OF COMPETING DANCES

Set Tentative Dates for Fall Dances at Informal Meeting, Point Toward Improving House Feeling

Moving towards inter-House cooperation and the abolishment of throat-cutting over formal dances, heads of the seven House Committee met informally Friday evening to work out a general policy and tentative schedule of fall parties.

As announced by Neil G. Melone '37, Eliot chairman, the following dates have been provisionally assigned: October 17, Army game, Dunster; October 24, Dartmouth game, Eliot and Lowell; October 31, Princeton game, Adams and Winthrop; and November 14, Navy game. Kirkland and Leverett.

House dances are necessary not only for their social value but also because income from them for the year usually amounts to upwards of $300, a sum equal to that collected by subscriptions from House members. These funds are employed for the general House benefit and are administered by the Committees.

As a consequence, successful dances have become a point of vital import. In the past there have been mad scrambles for the most favorable dates, a rush for orchestras and tendency towards higher-priced bands which could not always be reasonably afforded, and contests in ticket scalping and advertising.

Hard feeling between Houses and failure of dances have too often resulted.

As a remedy, the new arrangement of prior cooperation between Houses is expected to correct these ills. Dates for the chief dances will be assigned in committee; there will be a general move to musicians of reasonable hire; and ticket rates determined in advance will allow for no last minute competition through reduction or other alteration of prices.