SPOTLIGHTED

Brundage Promotes Apartments, Games

A VERY BRUNDAGE made headlines long before he expelled Eleanor Holm Jarrett from the 1936 American Olympic team. In 1912, at the age of 25, he was a track star running for the United States the Olympiad in Stockholm. He was then three years out of the University Illinois where he had earned several "I's" in track and joined Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Not a champion drinker, Brundage acquitted himself creditably Stockholm. Soon after, he took up handball, and became one of the country's outstanding singles players while his own construction company put up some Chicago's flashiest apartment and office buildings.

He was chosen head of the Amateur Athletic Union in 1928 and president of the American Olympic Association in 1930. In 1934, two years before jeopardized these titles by applying discipline to Eleanor Holm Jarrett and Jesse Owens, Avery Brundage received the James E. Sullivan medal awarded annually "to the person, irrespective of national who through service furthers amateur games competition throughout the world."

NO LESS ambitious a middle-westerner is Wisconsin's and Sigma Nu's Nick Grinde. Nick was a hard-working journalist and Sigma Delta pledge at Wisconsin, but his work in the Union shows there made him set his mind on one single thing, motion pictures. In 1915 Grinde cooled his heels waiting to see a famous director to ask him for a job. He gave up waiting and took to the greasepaint road as Chic Sale's publicity manager. Years later Nick was directing Joan Crawford in a picture. One of the extras was the once-famous director. Grinde is now on the Warner Brothers lot and you may have seen his latest, Public Enemy's Wife.