Off Key

This is an independent column and may not necessarily agree with the Crimson editorial policy.

Not even an election can stale life's infinite variety, and on the morn of another Democratic administration, there are still many things happening in this world of ours for which we can be truly grateful. For example.

Mrs. Roosevelt has declared that she hopes, in her second term, to compete less with the late Theodore R. and Bernarr MacFadden as the apostle of the strenuous life. Mrs. Roosevelt will try to plan her time better, but she doesn't know whether or not it will be possible, since the election "showed in unmistakeable terms that the country wishes to go in the way it has begun". Mrs. Roosevelt feels the people's mandate most keenly. Mrs. Roosevelt seems to be confused.

At Home Abroad

Politics again, George H. Tinkham, the Republican Congressman from the local Democratic district went back into office by carrying his district with 13,000 votes more than President Roosevelt got. Mr. Tinkham has whiskers, has held his seat since 1915, and has never yet made a campaign. This year he got back from Europe the day before the election. Probably he didn't bother to vote for himself. Of course he is a Harvard man.

Next to our native land, Japan seems to have the wheels spinning in a more orderly manner than eleswhere. No vulgar civil wars disturb the little yellow men, one of whom has just won a contest by raising a beard five inches longer than he is, far surpassing both of the Smith Brothers. This remarkable personification of Japanese resource carries his growth in a handbag when he goes walking, so as not to sully the end. So far from being confused, he seems to have a very highly developed philosophy of life. And with a beard like that, he must be very happily married indeed.

Less philosophical and consequently more confused are the Japanese policemen. Tokio possesses the largest red light district in the world, covering a square mile, but instead or protecting the wild life in this valuable preserve, the constabulary has begun to crack down and has closed the taxi dance halls, so called. That this is but the first move in a drive to clean up Tokio for the Olympic Games visitors in 1940 is proof positive that however much they may themselves believe it, the Japs do not as yet thoroughly understand Western civilization. Mayor Cermak or any other executive who has planned for any American or European World's Fair or exhibition could tell them different.

But the fact that Father Coughlin has shut up takes the sting from the impetuosity of the Tokio police. That is the best news that has come in a long while. GROUNDHOG