HOCKEY TEAM, M.I.T. TANGLE TONIGHT AT 8:30 ON ARENA ICE

Freshman Sextet Opposes Rindge Tech This Afternoon at the Garden and Meets Milton Tomorrow

Local hockey critics will have their first chance of the season to see if all the bouquets handed out to Joe Stubbs's 1937 sextet are deserved when the Varsity pucksters cross sticks with M.I.T. on the Arena ice at 8:15 o'clock this evening.

Taking his old place at center on the first line, Captain George Ford will be flanked by Ralph Pope at right wing and Austie Harding on the left flank when the whistle blows for the face-off with the Engineers. Harding, who played outstanding hockey for Clark Hodder's Yardlings last year, has been changed from center to wing and has not acquired all the polish that will be his before the season ends, but he will undoubtedly figure in at least three goals.

The best performance of the evening will be turned in by the high-scoring Junior line of George Roberts at center ice and Johnny Mechem and Ned Cutter on the wings. This was a smooth working combination a year ago and is expected to continue where they left off. This is the second line.

Centering the third line will be Joe Patrick, sophomore and a new-comer to Crimson hockey, who is a tricky, but not too fast, skater. The veteran John Callaway will hold down the left wing position while Freddie deRahm, another Sophomore, will team with him from the right.

Russ Allen and Traf Hicks, veterans from last year, will open at the points, with Gene Emerson and Leo Ecker or Charlie Bellows and Charlie Houghton ready to step in when needed.

Tech has had three games so far and has lost them all. Opening against B. U. they went down to a 7-1 count, but showed promise in losing to Princeton. Brown shut the Engineers out 5-0 last Friday. On the basis of this the Crimson should emerge victors by at least 12 points.

Facing the Rindge Tech team, the Freshman skaters will open their season at 2 o'clock this afternoon at the Garden. Another game is scheduled for Wednesday at Milton Academy.