THE JOYOUS SEASON

Mr. Bingham's report brings into the limelight again the perplexing question of the emphasis to be placed upon inter-collegiate football at Harvard. Dr. Bock's opinion that the period of practice should in the interests of health be lengthened by an earlier opening in September seems to give the university two alternatives with regard to this question. Either this extension, with its resulting emphasis upon football, must be adopted in the hope of averting injuries, or the strain upon the athletes must be relieved by a reduction in the number of games.

During the past twelve years football practice has begun on September 15 according to the agreement made with Yale and Princeton, and so, before any change can be made in the program, these two universities will have to make a similar choice. In Mr. Bingham's opinion the eight-game maximum should Be continued. He is probably right in his judgment of collegiate opinion. Interest in football, which can only be measured by the shifting yardstick og gate receipts, seems to be returning to the intensity of the pre-depression days, and any serious curtailment of the program would meet with serious hostility on the part of students and alumni alike.

Since general enthusiasm does not seem to warrant an economy in the number of games, Mr. Bingham is making a sensible decision in asking that the wear and tear on the players be mitigated by extending the period of training. Pigskin continues to be king, and if the gentleman's throne is too narrow, it must in the interests of comfort be widened.