Athletes Have Edge Over Average Graduates In Attempting Stage Career, Says Toby Wing

Screen Star Calls Undergraduate Theatricals Excellent Preparation

"Well known college athletes find it much easier to get a start in a stage or screen career than the average graduate," said Toby Wing in an interview with the CRIMSON. "Your big football players, for instance, already have a reputation when they graduate.

"They don't have to spend a lot of time and work in building up a public. Of course not all good athletes have the ability to act. Some of them seem muscle bound or something. Max Baer is a good example of a talented athlete who made good in pictures, but he got much too swell headed."

Toby pulled a large scrap book out of a dresser drawer and laughingly revealed clippings of the pictures taken on her recent trip to Cambridge to review the Hasty Pudding chorus. Her comments were enthusiastic. "They were all the grandest bunch of boys," she exclaimed. "The ones I met were all very nice and awfully good looking. They didn't seem at all embarassed to life their skirts for the cameramen when the pictures were taken. I really had a lot of fun and enjoyed every minute of my visit.

College Training Advantageous

"College productions provide marvelous training for anyone who has ambitions to go into theatrical work, as being in front of an audience helps a lot in getting over self-consciousness." Toby recalled with a laugh how self-conscious she had been when she first began seting. With undergraduate dramatic experience as a background the college graduate definitely has as good a chance to succeed on the stage as anyone brought up in the business. "The hard part," said Toby, "is to get started. You have to attract attention if you're unknown, and my advice is just to do something spectacular!"