Greene Denies Harvard Resents Action of United States Senate

Resolution in Final Form Does Not Authorize Roosevelt to Issue Invitations

Contrary to reports appearing in the Boston Transcript and the New York Times, Harvard College in no way disapproves of efforts of the United States Senate to cooperate in the Tercentenary celebration next September, it was revealed last night in a telegram sent to Vice-President Garner by Jerome D. Greene '96, secretary to the Corporation.

Momentary confusion resulted from an erroneous dispatch from Washington that the resolution adopted by the Senate last Friday authorized President Roosevelt to invite foreign governments and individuals to attend the celebration. In his statement on Saturday Mr. Greene had asserted that the University did not anticipate such action on the part of the government.

Resolution Amended

While the joint resolution as originally introduced in both houses of Congress contained a provision requesting the President to issue the invitations, the bill in its final, amended form merely calls for the creation of a Tercentenary Commission of 15 members to represent the federal government at the festivities next fall.

The main clause of the resolution requires "that the government and people of the United States unite with Harvard University in a fitting and appropriate observation of the 300th anniversary of its founding, which marked the formal beginning of higher education in the United States."

Mr. Greene's telegram to the President of the Senate reads as follows:

"Harvard University emphatically repudiates the implication that it rebuffs or resents the action of the Senate recognizing the Tercentenary of Harvard as being also that of the beginning of higher education in the United States. On the contrary it is honored by and is sincerely appreciative of that action. An erroneous report in a Boston paper that