DELAND APPOINTED '36 CLASS AGENT OF THE HARVARD FUND

Money Raised Is Unrestricted, and All Donations Will Count for $100,000 Gift to College

Frank Stanton Deland, Jr. '36 has been appointed Class Agent for the Harvard Fund, according to an announcement made by the officers of the Fund last night. The appointment was made on the recommendation of the Senior Class officers.

Deland prepared at Noble and Greenough, and has been Freshman and Varsity football manager, and a member of the Senior nominating committee. He is secretary of the Athletic Committee and treasurer of the Political Union.

The Harvard Fund, of which Lawrence Coolidge '27, is now chairman, was founded in 1925 as a permanent organization for the purpose of securing annual voluntary subscriptions from all Harvard Alumni. Money raised by the Harvard Fund is "unrestricted" in purpose, but one of the important things for members of the younger classes to remember is that gifts made to the Harvard Fund are credited, at compound interest, toward their traditional gift of $100,000, to be presented to the College on the occasion of their 25th Anniversary of graduation.

Thus, in following a ten-year-old policy of soliciting the Senior Class before graduation, Deland will ask for voluntary gifts, all of which will be credited at once toward the 25th anniversary gift of the Class of 1936, to be made in 1961. A dollar given now will nearly treble in amount in 25 years. Deland's letters, with full explanation, are being mailed to the Senior Class today. By vote of the Corporation in this year of Harvard's 300th celebration, all money contributed to the Harvard Fund will actually count three times: to the Harvard Fund, to the 25th Anniversary Class Gift, and to the Anniversary Fund.

The Harvard Fund Council, which Deland is joining as the youngest class representative, includes 67 agents, among whom are such well-known Harvard men as Bishop William Lawrence '71, Judge Robert Grant '73. John Richardson '08, G. Peabody Gardner, Jr. '10, and Forrester A. Clark '29. E. Francis Bowditch '35 is agent for 1935.