Conant Renews Search for New Dean of Law School

FINANCIAL TASK MAKES TENURE OF POST DIFFICULT

Harvard has so far been unable to find a new Dean of the Law School.

Although Edmund M. Morgan '02, Bus sey Professor of Law since 1925, has consented to serve as acting Dean during the coming year, he plans to return to his teaching at the end of that period.

Intensive Search

Since Dean Pound resigned a year ago, President Conant has conducted an intensive search through the country for a successor. He is reported to have approached Dean Goodrich of the Pennsylvania Law School and Professor Austin Scott among others but they have declined the post.

The chief difficulty seems to lie in the financial position of the Law School. The large yearly payment to the Corporation for Langdell Hall has formerly been met by the tuition of those first-year students who have failed to meet their requirements.

Restricted Enrollment

Now those in authority believe that the School should have a restricted enrollment, due largely to the increasing competition from other Law Schools. Consequently, the new Dean will be confronted by a theory problem.

One new name has loomed upon the horizon as a possible choice in Professor James Grafton Rogers of the Yale Law School who has also been mentioned as successor to President Angell upon his approaching resignation.

But portents indicate that Mr. Conant will devote part of Harvard's three hundred and first year to his search for a new Dean.