Elaborate Public Address System Installed; Peter Harvard Typical Harvard Man; taken 300 Years to Fence in Yard

Thorough Public Address System

Western Electric engineers have succeeded in installing what is perhaps the most elaborate public address system ever used in the country, for use in the meetings here yesterday and today. Not only will it serve the nearly 15,000 listeners within the Tercentenary Theatre, but it will be wired into various auditoriums--the New Lecture Hall, Sanders Theatre, the University Theatre, the auditorium in Filenes department store in Boston, the Commander Hotel, and the Continental Hotel.

The same system carries wires for radio broadcasts from the short-wave station WIXAL and for the long-wave stations of the National Broadcasting Company. They also provide the sound pickup for the cameras of the news reel companies.

In addition there are wires running to the Cruft Laboratory, where phonograph records will be made. The whole system is in duplicate, so that if any part of it breaks down, it can be switched instantly to the other line. And in case of rain, the exercises will be able to be transmitted from Sanders Theatre or Memorial Church in the same way.

Peter Harvard Incognito

Peter Harvard is in our midst, quietly surveying the scene that has made his family name famous. Although a guest of the University, Peter has been dodging publicity during his brief stay in Cambridge, and has doggedly refused to appear publicly at any of the funrtions.

Twenty years of age, dressed in a brown coat and grey flannels, the Harvard scion has found it a simple task to remain incognito during his excursions through the Yard and elsewhere--even during a guide trip. In every detail of appearance or manner, from his deliberately complacent way of talking to his habit of shoving both hands deeply into his pockets, he might be taken for a "typical" Harvard man. He was even indifferent about Harvard itself until the tentacles of the Tercentenary entwined him, and even now refuses to display any enthusiasm for the University in a way that would please every true connoisseur of the Harvard attitude.

Peter is now a second year student in Armstrong College, Durham University, and will return there directly. He is concentrating in pure science, and now plans to take a few post-graduate courses in the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences when he gets his degree. From early childhood, he has been mechanically minded, and hopes to devote his life to research in physics and chemistry.

Tercentenary Theatre Gay

Eighty bright colored flags and banners, predominantly crimson and white have turned the Yard, one of the University's most famous possessions, into a gay festival eaclosure, the gayest in its long history.

All this color centers about the outdoor Tercentenary Theatre, with a capacity of 15,000 people. An amplifying system has been installed and there are two booths from which photographers can take movies of the activities on the stage on the steps of the Memorial Chapel. A half mile of evergreen has been strung about the various parts of the theatre.

Forty-eight banners are striped crimson and white and carry the Harvard Arms at the top, representing the University as a whole. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has two long gonfalons, striped blue and yellow, with the Massachusetts Arms at the top.

The large banners and the 27 smaller ones which represent the various divisions of the University, including the graduate schools, the seven undergraduate House units, and Radcliffe College were designed by Pierre de Chaignon la Rose '95.

Yard Finally Surrounded

It required 300 years to build a fence around the Yard, but the job was finally finished last month when the last sections of iron pickets were placed in their brick pillars and the 3,700 feet circumference of the Yard enclosed in a permanent fence.

The new gate, the last of twenty, has been named the Eliot Gate in honor of President Eliot, and is a Tercentenary gift from the class of 1908. This class also provided funds for the construction of the rest of the fence on that side of the Yard (Quincy Street).