Varsity Crew Prospects Bright After Bolles Concludes Month of Practice

Adequate Replacements For Four Oarsmen Who Graduated Last June

Prospects are bright for as good a crew as last year's and possibly even better as Tom Bolles' varsity squad finishes the fourth week of fall rowing. There seem to be adequate replacements for the four oarsmen who graduated, and these who remain will have an additional year of the Washington technique under their belts.

Besides Eddie Bennett at cox, the crew lost Paul Austin at 7, Kernan at 4, Cutler at 2, and Haskins in the bow. This fall John Clark has been moved to 7 from his former port post, Bill Huenekins and Huzz Hovey are at 4 and 2, while Bill Dearborn has been holding down the lighthouse post.

The second boat, again stroked by Bill Rowe, has had a different lineup almost every day due to the uncertainties of fall schedules. Last year's Freshmen have been kept intact and, being the only boat to row together consistently during the season, have shown rapid improvement and can usually give the varsity a good fight. Some of these sophomores may step into the varsity and are certain to crack the Jayvees, notably Stevens and Richards, now rowing 7 and 4 respectively.

Early in November Belles plans to let the stroke oars, Chace, Rowe, Frank Lawrence, and Jim Curwen, choose up crews which will practice for a week together and then have a mile race.