R.O.T.C. Dons Uniforms in Honor of Navy Day; No Other Celebration Here

Charlestown Navy Yard Will Hold Open House All This Afternoon

As members of Harvard's Naval R. O. T. C. wear their uniforms in the quiet Yard, the nation as a whole will be celebrating in honor of their Navy today.

Harvard will not have any special celebration, and members of the R. O. T. C. will stage no other demonstration than that of wearing their uniforms all day. In Charlestown, the Navy Yard will be open to visitors until late this afternoon.

Merchant Marine

The subject that has been given to this Navy day ties up the fighting sea forces of the nation with the Merchant Marine, a combination of factors that Naval authorities feel vital to the life and continued well-being of the nation.

The value of the Merchant Marine from the naval standpoint lies in the fact that in time of war American merchantmen can furnish without delay the necessary auxiliaries of transport and supply ships.

Naval History

Undoubtedly speeches today in leading cities in honor of the Navy will stress the history, of that service, from its early attacks on the Barbary pirates in the Mediterranean to the present day.

One of the highlights of this history is when the Navy turned to more peaceful and constructive pursuits and sent out many scientific exploring expeditions. Coast lines of our own Pacific and of South America were mapped, rivers explored, and an intensive investigation of such hydrographic conditions as wind, tide, weather currents were carried on.

Hope Many Will Attend

On Navy Day last year many of the undergraduates in the University who were not enrolled in the R.O.T.C. course, took advantage of the opportunity and visited the Navy Yard. It is hoped that many more will find time today to inspect the ships which are now stationed at the Charlestown yard.