AT KEITH MEMORIAL

By C. F.

Newspaper men, their lives and loves, have already been recorded a number of times on the screen. The latest version, "Love Is News" moves along so briskly, however, and is packed with so many amusing episodes that the frailty of the plot can well be overlooked. It is obviously not a film for the intelligentsia, for the comedy at best is somewhat rough and often slapstick, but the enthusiasm of Tyrone Power, Jr., Don Ameche and Loretta Young make it a film well worth seeing.

Since the picture was intended for mass consumption the comedy is naturally of that level. The constant hammering of a joke does not, however, seem absolutely necessary. The sequences depicting life in a newspaper office are, as usual, somewhat strange. But this is a minor point, for one of the film is done in a serious vein; and the mad antics of city editor Ameche and star reporter Power only add to the zest of the thing.

This pair go through their routine of scoops, whiskey, and socks on the jaw with refreshing relish. Loretta Young, as a young heiress who announces her engagement to the reporter in order to turn the heat of publicity on him for a change, is excellent. Slim Summerville supplies added amusement in his role of a country judge, the doors of whose cell block are constantly falling from their hinges.

The companion picture, "Wings of the Morning" serves to introduce to the moviegoing public a new and delightful personality - Annabella. A sympathetic performer with a simple, winning charm. She dominates the film from beginning to end, throwing Henry Fonda's performance into the shade.

The picture itself is a simple pastoral of life in Ireland among thoroughbred horse breeders. Filmed entirely in technicolor, it presents a variety of picturesque scenes of the Irish countryside and comes to an exciting climax in the derby at Epsom Downs.