Building Will Start on New Hemenway Gymnasium This Month, Say Officials

Twelve Standard Squash Courts For Freshmen, Graduates Chief Features

To replace the old Hemenway gymnasium which will be torn down in February to make room for the Littauer building, construction on a new Hemenway gymnasium will probably start within a month according to present plans. It will be located on Massachusetts Avenue, very near the old building, and will be completed by the 1937-1987 season.

More Squash Courts

This gymnasium will be available to all members of the University, and a notable feature will be twelve regulation size squash courts designed to provide more accessible exercise for Freshmen and graduate students, and to relieve the pressure on the Linden Street courts. Although considerably smaller than its namesake, this new building is intended to enlarge the athletic facilities of the University.

In order to minimize the period without an athletic building, the old Remenway gymnasium will not be demolished until February, while the new one will probably be finished early next fall.

Large Volley Court

Submitting before the recent emphasis on squash as a means of exercise, wrestling, boxing, and fencing will be loss adequately provided for in the new building. However, a large basketball floor which can be divided into halves and a general room for badminton, volley ball, and exercising will be included in addition to the squash courts.

Although the Freshman and Varsity squads will make frequent use of the new facilities, nevertheless, the law students will receive the most benefite, and with 71 squash courts available for the University's use, the huge demand for courts is expected to be taken care of satisfactorily.