Boston Movies

"Stolen Holiday" of Interest in that It Gives Accurate Explanation of Famous "Stavisky Affair"

After a pious preliminary denial that their picture has any factual basis, the producers of "Stolen Holiday" then proceed to given an amazingly accurate play by play account of the now famous Stavisky "bucket shop" scandal, which nearly caused a French revolution several years ago. Only one major departure from historical truth can be noted--instead of ending up in the log show of New York's French Casino, as did Stavisky's wife Sacha, Kay Francis marries an English diplomat, thus suppling the customary happy ending.

The chief interest in this otherwise stereotype film lies in its explanation of the Orloff (Stavisky) method of financing. Starting from humble beginnings, Stefan Orloff (Claude Rains) engineers first a jewelry racket, and then, when things get too hot for him and his associates, he turns to crooked management of government subsidized pawn shops. Desiring an entire into society to further his ends, he elevates Niki (Kay Francis) from an obscure mannequin to the foremost couturiere in Paris. Using her as a front, he stage lavish balls and manages to get the names of many of the important governmntal officials linked with his. When his empire begins to crumble, he dupes Niki into marrying him, and invites only the most important people to the wedding.

The same day he is forced to flee to Switzerland where on of his ex-partners, a police official who fears that he might tell too much, has him murdered and then makes it appear a suicide. This leaves Niki free to marry Antony Wayne, the diplomat, who has been lurking in the offing.

Those scenes which are not devoted to the fascinating finance of Orloff are, for the most part, dull--particularly those in which Antony makes casual love to Niki. Allison Skipworth supplies slight comedy relief.